Wednesday, December 30, 2020

2020 Retrospective, 2021 Plans

When I wrote my 2019 post about what I hoped to do in the next year, I never could have imagined that 2020 would be... well, 2020. Then again, nobody could have seen that coming.

Of course, due to the weirdness that was this year, getting out to photograph and research markers turned out to be a difficult prospect. I couldn't cover marker dedication ceremonies because nearly all of them were indefinitely postponed. The trips I was hoping to make with my sisters and stepfather, as mentioned in that previous retrospective, didn't happen. My beloved Zenkaikon was canceled (and has already been canceled for 2021 as well, for reasons which I understand and respect but I'm still sad). I honestly felt a little guilty continuing this blog when there was so much trouble elsewhere, but this was my thread of normalcy and it became my mission to keep it going.

Fortunately, I did have some help. Although most of my own travel plans fell through, my sisters sent me pictures from their own previous travels, as did my parents. I was also able to visit Bethlehem a few times, including for a book signing by fellow local author Scott Morro (seriously, The Washington Pursuit is a delightful YA novel and I recommend it) and collected a few of the markers there which I didn't already have. I finally made a trip to my great-grandfather's hometown of Emmaus to learn more about that city, including a visit to my own ancestral homestead at Shelter House. And I managed to get one day each in Lancaster (before the lockdown really took hold) and Philadelphia (after it was lifted) for some marker hunting.

What are some facts about MarkerQuest™?

I was amazed at some of the landmarks MarkerQuest™ has accomplished in this past year. The blog's Facebook page has 120 followers, most of whom are people I don't actually know personally. The statistics show that it's broken 25,000 page hits, which is more than double what I had at this time last year. My 2018 post about the Fries Rebellion in Bucks County remains the single most popular post on the blog (and I still do not know why), but for the 2020 articles, here are the ten biggest hits:

10) Pottsville Maroons, Pottsville, Schuylkill County
9) Lehigh County
8) Virtual Quests
7) Indiantown and Fort Indiantown Gap, Annville, Lebanon County
6) Lafayette, Bethlehem, Northampton County
5) The Dorsey Brothers, Shenandoah, Schuylkill County
4) Philip Ginter, Summit Hill, Carbon County
3) Trucker's Mill, Slatington, Lehigh County
2) Thomas Mifflin, Shillington, Berks County
1) Bryden Horse Shoe Works, Catasauqua, Lehigh County


As a native Catasauquan, I am of course pleased that the only post I did from my hometown this year came out as number one. I was also tickled that the Maroons made the top ten, as that was one of my personal favorite posts. I'm sure that the popularity of the Bryden post was in no small part thanks to the Historic Catasauqua Preservation Association, just as I'm sure that it was the Berks History Buffs who helped to blow up the Thomas Mifflin post.

Guest photographers this year included both of my sisters, Lisa Croizier and Liza Shankar, who contributed pictures for the Kinzua Viaduct and Ole Bull's Colony posts respectively, and my mother Debra Shankar, who helped with the Underground Railroad. Apparently, whenever my family sees the markers, they now think of me, and I'm very appreciative. My best friend Andrea Gillette was also a guest photographer again, this time for the Samuel Phillippe post, and also accompanied me on those desperately needed day trips to Lancaster and Philadelphia. I continue to be grateful for the support of various historical societies, the Historical Marker Database, and of course, Karen Galle and the PHMC.

For the blog it's honestly been a pretty good year. The first-ever giveaway had a pretty decent response, and was a lot of fun to do. Joining the Herstory Club was a tremendous honor and I'm delighted to be a member. Naturally, the biggest news came right at the end of the year with the publication of my first history book and the publicity that unexpectedly accompanied it; my televised interview on the local news was and still is astonishing to me. (I did tell the interviewer about MarkerQuest™, and the PHMC who authorized it, but it was apparently cut for time.) Thanks so much to WFMZ for helping me to get the word out about my book, and for all of the support from my readers; I also appreciate the support of my coworkers, who were quite possibly more excited about the book than anyone else I know! They were bragging about me to customers!

What's coming up for MarkerQuest™?

Both my stepfather and my husband will be getting guest photographer status on the blog sometime in the new year, making it something of a family project. Hopefully, with the arrival of the COVID-19 vaccine and the cautious lifting of travel restrictions, I'll get to make more trips and maybe attend some marker dedications. I have some ideas for future contests, including one that will gain some more guest photographer slots (just in case I can't travel!), so that's in the works. I'll also be on the hunt for new subjects for more books about esoteric and forgotten historical subjects; as Facebook fan David Sweeney pointed out to me, Pennsylvania has so much rich heritage, there's bound to be something else that needs to be uncovered the way Laury's Island did.

Most of all, though, I'll kind of just be going with the flow. Opportunities fell into my lap this year that I didn't anticipate, and maybe that's going to happen in the coming months too. Whatever does happen, I fervently hope and pray that 2021 is gentler to all the world.

To all of my readers, my supporters, and the friends which MarkerQuest™ has gained over the last year - thank you for joining me on this adventure. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun without you and I hope you'll continue to be a part of the MarkerQuest™ crew in the coming year. 

Whatever you celebrate this holiday season, I wish you joy and peace,
and I'll see you back here in 2021!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!