Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Hiatus Announcement

There was supposed to be a post last week and I had to postpone it because I had too much going on, with work and preparing for my birthday celebration this past weekend. (I can no longer describe myself as "forty-mumble," let's put it that way. But it was a great celebration.) 

There was supposed to be a post today too, but it's not happening, and I felt it was only fair to explain. My eldest "child," Random, turned 19 years old in July. Not particularly old for a human, but in cat years, that's pretty darn ancient.

As you can no doubt tell from his photograph, Random has always been the most intellectual of orange cats. I like to say that other orange cats are dumb because he's been hoarding all the brain cells. He got his unusual name due to the circumstances of his adoption; back in 2007, he literally walked up to me on the sidewalk in front of our old house and meowed to announce his presence. "Oh hey, a random cat," I said, and picked him up. That was the end of that. The name stuck and so did the kitten. He's been in charge of everything and everyone from that day onward, including his "dumb baby cousins" Kashi and Sashi.

Indeed, he was so smart that he waited until my birthday was over for his health to nosedive. I'm convinced he was holding out so he wouldn't ruin it for me, because that's how he was. He was a very good boy. But yesterday he let us know that it was time, and after a good deal of weeping from both of us, Kevin and I sent him to the Rainbow Bridge. 

Due to that, plus a number of other minor details that life decided to lob into my path, doing a post today just wasn't in the cards. And next week I'll be leaving on vacation, so I was going to be announcing two weeks off from blogging anyway. There would have been a post on the 30th, but my followup podcast recording with America250PA got postponed until that morning, and since I'll be going to work not long afterward, I won't be able to do one that day either!

Long story short, the blog will not be receiving new content until October. But I wanted to make a post to explain why, lest anyone think something had happened to me. I'm fine, or at least as fine as I can be under the circumstances. I'll be back in a few weeks to bring you loads more history content, and if you need something to read or watch in the meantime, definitely check out my links page! I hope you all have a lovely September!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!