Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Blogger Birthday, Something Silly

So about half a million years ago (give or take a few hundred thousand), Labor Day fell on September 6th in the United States, and I came into the world. This year, for the first time since the blog began in 2018, that date happened to be on a blog update day, and I wanted very much to do something special.

Instead, what you're getting is something incredibly silly. These are actual signs I have seen or been sent by friends and loved ones - they're not historical markers, but they're somewhat in the spirit of the marker program. Somewhat. If you squint.

Anyway, please enjoy my birthday month and have a piece of cake for me. And I hope these all make you smile as they did me.

Basically, after five years of this blog, I have become the immediate "saw this and thought of you" person whenever someone I know encounters anything remotely related to historical markers. And sometimes, those remotely related things are quite amusing.



This one, located in Ridgefield, New York, made the rounds not too long ago. It was even featured in the New York Times, which is where one of my friends happened to see it and pass it along to me.



My own photo. This is found on the side of a house in Jim Thorpe, Carbon County. I have my doubts about its accuracy.



Being married to a Trekkie, it was only a matter of time before I received this one in my inbox.



This was the one which actually inspired this post. My mother sent it to me and I shared it with my Facebook followers. I have no idea where it's located, but I want to find it and do a blog post about it regardless of whether it's in Pennsylvania.



Last one - another of my own photographs. 
This actually is a historical sign; it's found inside the Old Jail Museum in Jim Thorpe. I don't know about you, but this would have been enough to make me think twice about visiting any of the prisoners. But I promise that body searches are no longer required in order to go into the jail.

That's it for this nonsense. I'll be back on the 13th with a proper blog post, but in the meantime, I hope you enjoyed this!



Except where indicated, all writing and photography on this blog is the intellectual property of Laura Klotz. This blog is written with permission of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. I am not employed by the PHMC. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!